First, thank you so much for checking in on my dad. He has now been in prison for more than 8 years. During this time God has used him to lead over 500 men to Christ, allowed him to read over 1500 books, and to author several books on various topics.
For the past several years, we have been expecting to see Dad home around February of 2015. We are praying that he will still be released in February. However, on October 24, 2014, the government handed down an indictment from a Grand Jury granting permission to prosecute both Kent Hovind and another gentleman for mail fraud. Dad is being represented by a public defender who said that these charges are unique in that typically mail fraud is used when someone defrauds another individual out of money. In this case, there was no money defrauded. Dad’s trial is currently set for January 5, 2015.
I read a blog by Peter Reilly, a blogger who has been following Dad’s case, and he gave a summary of what is happening. You can find that summary here.
As his son, I can speak for all the family in saying that we are ready for him to come home. His grandchildren are ready to see Grandpa again. He is not a threat to society, and can never repay any debt that is claimed to be owed while he is locked up in prison.
My hope is that the government would be reasonable and show leniency to my father considering the time he has already spent in prison.
Others have asked, “What can I do?”
1. Pray! Pray that we will further the Gospel! I am so thankful for a dad that instilled in me the desire to preach the Gospel and win souls. My dad’s spent almost 20 years traveling the world preaching the Gospel through the creation message. His 18-hour Creation Seminar Series has been used by God to launch millions on a spiritual journey for which they are eternally thankful. Clearly seeing the issues and understanding how the theory-fairytale of evolution and the religion of atheism undermines the very fabric of society was the “knowledge that brought much sorrow” as Solomon put it in Ecclesiastes 1:18. This knowledge pushed our family to spend our lives teaching the truth of creation to the next generation.
In 1999, I began speaking for my dad and in 2008 launched Creation Today to pick up the mantel and continue the fight against this religious worldview that is being perpetrated through the public schools and is wreaking havoc on our society. This year, 44 million high schoolers will be indoctrinated with the humanistic worldview. It is critical to continue the mission that Dad started. The battle is huge and the stakes are eternal!
Through God’s power, the message of creation continues to strengthen the faith of believers and win the lost to Christ. Please pray that we can continue to proclaim this truth with boldness and creativity. It is still the Gospel that changes lives through the power of the Holy Spirit. If you want to see how God has directed us, click here.
2. Pray! Pray that God would guide my dad each step of the way as he goes through this new trial.
3. Pray! Pray for the family. These trials are not easy and we covet your prayers for clarity and strength.
4. Send a note of encouragement. While the mail room at the jail is already frustrated with the amount of mail that my Dad gets, I don’t think it would hurt for you to send a short note of encouragement.
Kent Hovind #06452-017
Santa Rosa County Jail
PO Box 7129
Milton, FL 32572
5. Go tell someone about Christ! In light of eternity, both Dad and I encourage you to take the opportunity today to share the truth of the Gospel with someone who needs to hear it.
All for HIS glory,